Entre Nós - Just Between Us
Just Between Us - Entre Nós, in portuguese - is an independent photography project by someone who has had enough of hearing stories about women who are victims of violence inside their own homes - stories often about very close and dear people.
After some research on the subject and conversations with many women - about suffering acts of violence and not telling anyone, about suffering and speaking about it, about the devastating effect these events have in a person’s life, about seeking help, about fear, about guilt, about feeling impotent, about silence, about all the complexities which this theme englobes - this project was the way I found to take a stand, to say “I don’t agree”. (artist statement)
1. It’s ok. It was my fault.
2. Who would believe me?
3. The neighbors had to call the police.
4. I have nowhere else to go.
5. I’ve waited for him to change. It’s been eleven years now.
6. It started when I first got pregnant.
7. My mother asked me what I had done to cause this.
8. I haven’t told anyone.
9. I was in a coma.
10. Of course not, it was a bike accident.
PAINTING PHOTOGRAPHY BY SHAE DETAR
ACTION - PHOTOGRAPHER KAIJA STRAUMANIS
Photographer Kaija Straumanis (flickr / etsy / society6) - “A literary translator and editor whose life consists of languages, books - lots of lots of books - and photography. Throw in a bit of dark humor and some Latvian culture and you’ve pretty much figured me all out.”